Instant Download via Email
- Complies with current legislation in all States and Territories
- Instant Download delivered via email
- MS Word and IAT (iAuditor App) format for easy customisation/editing
- Downloading and Customising Instructions provided
- Assists with compliance requirements for WHS inspections
- Review Date: 14 March 2014
The UPVC - Pipe Installation Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive procedure outlining the safety steps for the placement of UPVC pipes into trenches.
The UPVC - Pipe Installation Work Method Statement (WMS) is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
This SWMS involves the placement of UPVC pipes into trenches. This SWMS does not cover excavation in sufficient detail and should be used in conjunction with SafetyCulture’s Trenching SWMS as applicable. Ensure dedicated SWMS are implemented for hazards not covered in this SWMS.
Remember: The content of the SWMS should be refined over time and include consultation with workers and other persons conducting a business or undertaking. Prior to each new activity, the SWMS must be reviewed and revised to ensure it applies to the high risk construction work and the actual site you are working at.
This Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is provided in the following document formats
- Hit by moving vehicle
- Struck by falling object
- Crushing (loss of load, trench failure, caught between pipes etc)
- Musculoskeletal Disorder (MSD) from hazardous manual tasks
- Environmental Impacts (noise, soil & water contamination, disruption of ground water & native flora/fauna)
This SWMS includes the following High Risk Construction Work as defined by Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011:
- Mobile plant
- Fall risks over 1.8m
- Live electricity
- Pressurized gas
- Confined space
- Possible excavation/tunnel works (1.5m or more)
- Road side works
The UPVC - Pipe Installation Work Method Statement can be used as part of your WHS inductions, for Tool box talks or tender applications.
The UPVC - Pipe Installation SWMS includes:
- Safety Notes
- Pre-Operational Inspection
- Emergency Procedures
- Manual Handling – Hazardous Manual Tasks
- Trench Collapse
- Traffic Management Plan
- LOTO - Lock Out Tag Out
- Plant Roll Over
- Contact with Utilities
Operation: (extract only)
- Ensure inside of pipes are free of rubble or other material.
- Establish exclusion zones as required
- Follow installation requirements from project specifications or manufacturer’s instructions and relevant SWMS. Examples:
- Prepare pipe for laying. Clean gasket and spigots to remove sand, dirt, grease or other debris
- Ensure gasket is free of damage and sealed uniformly
- Lift pipe into trench carefully to avoid dirt entering bell / spigot
- Apply lubricant to rubber rings (using manufacturer approved lubricant, following instructions on Safety Data Sheet)
- Insert spigot into socket with the smallest angle as possible
- Apply pressure (manually or mechanically as required) to ensure spigot slips through the gasket to the marked line depth
- Ensure plant operator maintains visual and verbal communication with ground operators.
- Monitor line and level at all times. Following specific SWMS if using lasers
- For cutting activities – ensure correct power tools (or hand saw/hacksaw) are used. Bevel the cut end and round off any sharp edges. Ensure work piece is secured before cutting.
- When gluing, use only glues recommended by pipe manufacturer and consult Safety Data Sheet for precautions such as ventilation and PPE. Ensure no flammables or ignition sources in close proximity to gluing tasks
- Compact side fills with bedding or other specified materials – take care not to move pipe/culvert
- Continue placing/ compacting side fills and removing trench support and sheets in stages
- No persons to re-enter any unsupported parts of trench