The Directional Drilling - Horizontal Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive procedure outlining the safety steps associated with horizontal directional drilling.
The Directional Drilling - Horizontal Work Method Statement (WMS) is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
This SWMS covers general safety issues with horizontal directional digging (HDD). Ensure a site/task specific SWMS is developed for hazards not covered in this SWMS. This SWMS does not cover Confined Space Entry.
Main hazards include:
- Electric shock/Electrocution
- Hit by moving vehicle
- Exposure to hazardous atmosphere
- Slips, trips, falls
This SWMS includes the following High Risk Construction work as defined by Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011:
- Mobile plant
- Live electricity
- Pressurized gas
- Confined space
- Possible excavation/tunnel works (1.5m or over)
- Road side works
The Directional Drilling - Horizontal Work Method Statement can be used as part of your WHS inductions, for Tool box talks or tender applications.
The Directional Drilling - Horizontal SWMS includes:
Operation: (extract only)
- assist machine by hand when in operation
- use tools (such as shovels) to help move dirt from around the hole during operation
- use persons as counterweights, hang counterweights off assembly or rock drill rod from side to side
- move rig when drill rod in operation
- walk under raised drill rod (unless blocked)
- operation on steep ground
- position drill rod by hand or tools when engine running
If persons enter exclusion zone, cease operations immediately. Do no restart until persons cleared from area.
Ensure all poly-piping (or other relevant piping) is restrained suitably before cutting.
Note: Unrestrained piping can flick back with force and cause extensive injuries.
Monitor position at all times. Do not stand in areas that may be affected by operations (struck by fluids under pressures, ejected materials etc.)
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST