The Working around LPG Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps when working with LPG in minor quantities (under 500L, in cylinders) and does not address specific requirements for LPG tasks, re-filling cylinders, placarding/manifest etc. and bulk storage/transport. Dedicated SWMS should be developed for these tasks, and for any risks not covered in this SWMS.
Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) is not classified as a hazardous chemical according to the Australian Safety and Compensation Council (ASCC) and is classified as a Dangerous Good according to the Australian Code for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road or Rail (ADG Code).
LPG is extremely flammable and is anAsphyxiant gas. Symptoms of exposure are directly related to displacement of oxygen from air.
LPG is a pressured gas and is highly flammable. LPG is heavier than air and can accumulate in basements, cellars, pits, closed rooms etc.
Read the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for LPG before use, follow the SDS recommendations.
- fire/explosion (gas leaks)
- burns/cold burns
- Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals – inhalation of gas
- Musculoskeletal Disorder (MSD) from hazardous manual tasks
Environmental risks may include death or injury to flora (plants) and fauna (animals) as a result of explosion, fire or inhalation of gas.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
- Inspect all cylinders for damage or corrosion – if detected – do not use.
- Check that cylinder is within its 10 year test date. If out of date – do not use
- Assemble/attach equipment as required – check connections are tight and seals are clean.
- Conduct leak testing (spray soapy water onto connections and look for bubbles). If leaking – check attachments and re-test. If still leaking – do not use.
- Check no ignition sources close to work area
When using the LPG Cylinders:
- Follow the SWMS for the task you are performing
- Wear PPE at all times
- Close main valve
- Deactivate pressure regulator (if fitted)
- Disconnect any equipment
- Check for leaks (soapy water)
- Check valve openings, screw threads and bleeder valves
- Replace any removable caps (valve protection and valve outlet)
If empty – follow the above procedures and store upright (so the pressure-relief valve only contacts vapour, not the liquid).
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST