Our ENTIRE document library can be yours for 1 low, annual subscription fee.
Save thousands of dollars, enjoy latest edition documents and free upgrades to revised issues. Click here to find out more
The Mitre Saw Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps for the normal operation of a Compound Drop / Mitre Saw, including static and portable use. The saw is used to make quick, accurate crosscuts, mitres or bevels. These saws cut at a set mitre angle and some can also cut at a bevelled angle.
Saw Blade - Laceration / Amputation
Being stuck by a moving object – timber
Eye Damage – flying debris
Hazardous manual tasks
Slips, trips & falls
Environmental risks may include land contamination as a result of incorrect disposal of waste timber; contamination of waterways as a result of timber dust and debris being swept away from work area during clean up.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
- PPE is worn – safety glasses with side shields or a face shield and hearing protection
- No loose clothing, no jewellery, have hair tied back
- Turn on the extraction unit (if fitted)
- The area around the saw is clear of people
- The timber is free from knots and nails before you begin
- Remove any nails and avoid knots where possible
- Position the timber hard up against the fence
- Provide trestles or a work bench that is the length of timber so as the timber is not bowed – Bends or bows in timber may cause the blade to jam
- Use clamps to secure the work-piece to the table if required to secure it
- Use the non-preferred hand to hold the timber in place
- Allow the blade to reach full speed before cutting, do not force the blade and always start the cut gently.
Stay alert – concentrate on what you are doing at all times and be aware of kickback.
Place cut lengths in a suitable location for transfer to the work area.
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST