Our ENTIRE document library can be yours for 1 low, annual subscription fee.
Save thousands of dollars, enjoy latest edition documents and free upgrades to revised issues. Click here to find out more
The Overhead Crane Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps for the standard operation of a Bridge Crane or Gantry Crane. These cranes can be referred to as “Overhead Cranes”.
This SWMS does not cover the operation of Container Cranes, Concrete Placement Units/Cranes, Elevated Work platforms or Mobile Cranes. Nor does this SWMS cover the lifting of people, including the lifting of people in workboxes.
- Loss of load - crushing, entrapment
- Being struck by moving plant, parts or load
- Crane collapse/malfunction
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
Doing the Lift. Overhead Crane Operators:
- Never rush a lifting job
- Maintain full attention to the task
- Control buttons should be used smoothly throughout the lift
- Position the hoist directly above where the load is to be placed
- Remove any slack from the sling, chain, or cable slowly before lifting a load
- Load to be checked when lifted slightly. Reposition the sling if required
- Do not pull the hoist by its pendant cable
- Raise the load sufficiently to clear any obstructions
- Do not push or pull on the load
- The load should hang vertically below the hoist at all times
- Always keep the load as close to the ground as possible. Never raise the load any higher than necessary
- Avoid swinging the load
- If the load swings, correct it by moving the load in the direction of the swing when it is at the end of its arc – if it is safe to do so, i.e., no potential to hit people or equipment.
- Always keep the load in clear view. If this is not possible the lift shall be carried out with the aid of another suitably trained and competent worker, working under the operator’s instructions e.g. Dogman
- Never leave a load suspended and unattended. If you need to leave a load, lower the load and chock at ground level, master switch in the off position
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST