The Pedestal Drill Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps for the use of a Pedestal Drill to drill holes in timber and metal. A Pedestal Drill is sometimes called a Bench Drill or Pillar Drill.
This SWMS does not cover the use of a Pedestal Drill to drill holes in masonry (including cement).
- Sharp objects (swarf, chips, filings) causing lacerations/cuts
- Being struck by a moving object – timber / metal workpieces
- Flying debris (swarf / chips / filings etc. ) – causing eye injuries
- Hazardous manual tasks
- Slips, trips & falls
- Dust – inhalation
Environmental risks may include land contamination as a result of incorrect disposal of waste materials; contamination of waterways as a result of timber / metal dust and debris being swept away from work area during clean up.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
- Switch on the machine
- Apply steady pressure to hand feed lever - maintain a pressure until the drill is about to break through the other side of material
- Reduce pressure when drill is about to break through to prevent drill from grabbing
- Shavings should be kept to a minimum length by regularly clearing the drill bit
- Use brushes or other tools to properly remove chips
- Use appropriate cutting device for different material types and thickness
- When drilling metal be aware of hot swarf
- Feed the bit smoothly into the work. If the hole being drilled is deep, withdraw the bit frequently to remove shaving on the bit.
- Leave the Pedestal Drill while it is running
- Let go of the hand lever controlling the vertical travel of the drill spindle as it can spring back and could cause damage
- Use your hand to remove metal or wood chips from the table or stock
- Attempt to remove a broken drill with a center punch or hammer.
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST