The Sewerage and Drainage Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive procedure outlining the safety steps for the construction of ground level sewerage and drainage.
The Sewerage and Drainage SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
This Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) provides guidance on construction of residential and commercial ground level sewerage and drainage. This includes the planning, preparation, operation and emergency procedures involved with installing new drainage and sewerage from ground floor height to an existing sewer line.
This SWMS does not included suspended or other sewerage and drainage installation above ground floor height.
This SWMS in part addresses the following High Risk Construction Work as defined by Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011:
- Mobile plant
- Fall risks over 1.8m
- Live electricity
- Confined space
- Possible excavation/tunnel works (1.5m or more)
Note: This SWMS may not cover the above listed high risk activities in sufficient detail. Additional SWMS may be required to address the specific situation, or this SWMS modified to suit.
The Sewerage and Drainage Work Method Statement can be used as part of your WHS inductions, for Tool box talks or tender applications.
The Sewerage and Drainage SWMS includes:
Save time with our pre-filled, fully customisable templates. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks ensuring it is specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and inclusion in your overall WHS System.
Operation – Installing drainage pipe and fittings: (extract only)
Priming fluid and solvent cements. Ensure:
- Only glues recommended by pipe manufacturer
- Have applicable SDS on hand
- Wear appropriate PPE as per SDS
- Use only in well ventilated area
- FLAMMABLE LIQUID - Do not use near sources of ignition
- Do not work in static positions or awkward postures for more than 2 hours over entire shift, or 30 minutes at a time
Tapping into existing sewer system. Ensure:
- Waterproof gloves are worn
- Safety glasses with splash protection or face shield is worn
- Clean water, soap, towel and nail brushes are available
- Sterile wipes and dressings available
Ensure atmosphere in trench is monitored for contaminants as required. Examples:
- Carbon monoxide can build up in trench from operation of plant in close proximity.
- Oxygen may be displaced by other gases from sewer
- Solvents from PVC piping
- Gases from surrounding land and water
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST