Our ENTIRE document library can be yours for 1 low, annual subscription fee.
Save thousands of dollars, enjoy latest edition documents and free upgrades to revised issues. Click here to find out more
The Using Scaffolding Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps associated with working on a scaffold.
This SWMS does not cover the specific operation of:
- Elevated Work Platforms (e.g. Cherry pickers, scissor lifts)
- Erecting or dismantling scaffolding,
- Attaching restraints
- Installation of edge protection
Due to the high-risk nature of working at height, specific SWMS will need to be implemented for these tasks prior to commencing the activity.
Work involving a risk of a person falling more than two metres, is defined as “High Risk Construction Work” by Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
- Never carry items in hand when using scaffold ladders
- Light tools are securely fixed on tool belt or shoulder bag
- Use mechanical means to lower or raise heavier items
- If using hand lines ensure item is tied to hang vertically to limit snagging
- If using gin wheels, load does not exceed 50kg
- If passing equipment from one level to the next use two hands to pass item (maintain communication with team member to know when passing and when to release item)
- Never drop items from scaffold
- Use tether on tools /equipment where appropriate to prevent object falling
Use only ladders provided for access to scaffolds:
- When working on a ladder, do not over-reach. Descend ladder and re-position as required.
- Do not carry materials when ascending / descending a ladder.
- Always face ladder when using
- Do not use step ladders to gain extra height
- Remove ground level ladder when unattended to prevent unauthorised access
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST