Instant Download via Email
- Complies with current legislation in all States and Territories
- Instant Download delivered via email
- MS Word format for easy customisation/editing
- Downloading and Customising Instructions provided
- Assists with compliance requirements for WHS inspections
- Review Date: 31 July 2014
The Soil - Mulch Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive 16 page procedure outlining the safety steps for the safe handling of Soil and Mulch products
The Soil - Mulch Work Method Statement (WMS) is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
This SWMS covers mulching of garden beds and handling potting mix/fertilisers. This does not cover application of bulk solid/liquid fertilisers, insecticide or pesticides. This SWMS should be used in conjunction with SafetyCulture’s Fertiliser Handling SWMS.
- Exposure to hazardous dust
- Exposure to hazardous substances (including legionella bacterium)
- Musculoskeletal Disorder (MSD) from hazardous manual tasks
- Struck by moving vehicle
- UV exposure
- Animal bites/stings
- Contamination of sensitive areas
- Hazardous dusts
The Soil - Mulch Work Method Statement can be used as part of your WHS inductions, for Tool box talks or tender applications.
The Soil - Mulch SWMS includes:
- Safety Notes
- Pre-Operational Inspection
- Emergency Procedures
- Manual Handling – Hazardous Manual Tasks
- Fertiliser Handling
- Trucks – Loading and Unloading
- Traffic Management Plan
- Environmental Management Policy
Operation: (extract only)
Ensure debris, packages etc are removed and disposed of regularly. Do not allow packages to blow away.
Ensure tools/equipment are removed from ground when not in use. Store in approved locations.
Ensure no electrical leads are placed on the ground where they may be damaged, become wet or otherwise unsafe.
Monitor work position at all times. Ensure:
- Clear of moving vehicles
- Within sight of vehicle operators
- Check for traffic before crossing roads/car parks etc
- Able to hear audible alarms/ operator calls
- Clear of pits, drop offs or other dangerous areas such as roads
- Within permitted working areas for site
Monitor ground continually. Be cautious of any signs of dangerous wildlife (such as funnel webs, burrows/ mounds, ant/ wasp nests etc.). If suspected, do not disturb area – contact Supervisor immediately.
Wash hands/arms/face/neck with soap and warm water before eating, smoking etc. Follow hygiene /decontamination procedures listed in SDS.