The Class 1 & 2 Test and Tag Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining safety inspection and testing of Class 1 and 2 electrical equipment in the workplace, using a portable appliance tester (PAT), with electronic push-button/function key testing functionality. Includes equipment (including in-service equipment) connected to a general power outlet (GPO) by either a permanently connected flexible power supply or a detachable flexible power supply cord.
- Class 1 equipment is protectively earthed with a 3-pin plug. Examples could be photocopiers, heavy duty hand tools, generally larger/heavier items or items designed for commercial use.
There is potential for damage/injury if an Insulation Only Tester is used.
A licensed electrician is required for testing using an ohmmeter.
- Class 2 equipment is protected by double insulation and will normally be fitted with a 2-pin plug. Examples of Class 2 equipment could be desktop computers, laptop computers, typically small electrical appliances with a detachable power supply.
Equipment with power surge devices fitted may give false results and additional testing may be required.
If ever you are unsure, seek advice from a licensed Engineer/Electrician.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
Conduct earthing and insulation testing:
- Identify type of DUT, i.e. Class 1 or 2
- Connect the earth clip to any exposed metal on the DUT.
- Press the appropriate test buttons/function keys on the PAT.
- Note pass or fail as required:
- Note appliance number for logbook and print out records.
- Unplug the DUT from the PAT.
If the DUT has passed earthing & insulation testing:
- Re-plug into the GPO if appropriate.
- Continue testing.
If there are doubts with the insulation testing results conduct Leakage Testing to confirm pass or fail.
Do not continue testing if the DUT fails the earthing & insulation test.
Attach “Out of Service” tags and inform owner of the DUT that it cannot be used until made safe by qualified person (such as electrician).
Take $150 OFF Quality Management System Sale.
Add coupon code QUALITY at checkout.