The Test and Tag RCDs Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety inspection and testing of Fixed Residual Current Devices (RCDs) and Portable Residual Current Devices (PRCDs) in the workplace using a portable appliance tester with electronic push-button/function key testing functionality.
Remember: The content of the SWMS should be refined over time and include consultation with workers and other persons conducting a business or undertaking. Prior to each new activity, the SWMS must be reviewed and revised to ensure it applies to the high risk construction work and the actual site you are working at.
This Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is provided in the following document formats
Includes Fixed and Portable RCDs:
- Type I not exceeding 10 mA
- Type II 10mA to 30mA
Portable RCDs include:
- Class L single phase primarily intended for household and similar general use
- Class H primarily intended for general industrial use
- Class PSOA class H assembly with two or more socket outlets minimum rating IP 33
Refer to separate specific SWMS for Testing & Tagging of electrical cords and Class 1 & Class 2 electrical equipment.
If ever you are unsure, seek advice from a licensed Engineer/Electrician.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
For DUTs that pass testing:
Remove tag from the DUT if it has been inspected previously.
Apply a new tag to the DUT that includes:
- date of testing
- outcome of testing
- due date for the next inspection
- plant number or inspection number of the DUT
- licence/certificate number, printed name of the licensed electrician or trained competent person who carried out the test and filled in the tag.
Ensure that all tags:
- are durable and water resistant
- are non-metallic
- are self-adhesive or positively secured
- cannot be re-used
- have a bright, distinctive surface.
Tags may be colour coded to identify:
- month DUT was tested
- duration of interval between testing, e.g. 3, 6, 12, 24 months, etc.