The Petrol Cement Mixer Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps for the use of a petrol-driven cement mixer.
This SWMS covers the use of a petrol-driven portable cement mixer to mechanically mix together cement and cement products into mortar ready for use.
This SWMS does not cover the use of an electrically powered portable cement mixer.
If using an electrically powered cement mixer, the following SWMS will be required:
- Cement Mixer – Electric
Read the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for all cement products and fuel before use, follow the SDS recommendations and relevant SWMS.
Environmental risks may include damage to waterways and water catchment areas due to incorrect disposal of waste materials or from run-off of hazardous chemicals during clean up. Unleaded Petrol is toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
- All products will be heavy to lift – use caution
- Ensure sand / cement / aggregate or pre-mixed dry cement is positioned as close as possible to the mixer
- If using pre-mixed dry cement, use small size bags when possible to reduce lifting heavy
- Use smaller size flat shovel when dry mixing to reduce the weight of materials on the shovel
- Don’t lift and twist when handling heavy materials – lift and turn
- Wet down materials as soon as possible to reduce dust
- Start the drum rotating.
- Ensure that you have a firm footing while loading the drum.
- Do not overreach.
- Load the drum with a shovel ensuring that the shovel does not enter the drum.
- Empty the contents out while the drum is still rotating.
On completion ensure:
- Mixer is switched off
- Drum and mixer are washed clean
- Remove waste materials from site