The Building Maintenance Unit - BMU - Operation Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) covers the safe use of a permanent Building Maintenance Unit (BMU) for building maintenance tasks, servicing, cleaning or installation of plant/equipment (eg: air conditioning systems, signs etc) on high-rise commercial buildings.
The SWMS is a comprehensive 14-page document that outlines the job steps, hazards, risks and control measures associated with the use of a permanent BMU unit for maintenance works. This SWMS does not cover temporary / portable BMU operation. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks ensuring it is specific to the task at hand.
Product Sample (Extract only):
All operators, involved with the use of the BMU must be trained and competent and hold a current High Risk Work Licence as required by State Regulators. Ensure detailed installation specifications are developed (by competent persons) for the type of anchorage and location.
- Type of anchor required
- Purpose of anchor (free fall, limited free fall, horizontal life-lines, restraint techniques etc.)
- Type of work being undertaken
- Safety factors
- Ultimate strength factors (= when the anchor/structure may yield but not fail).
Placement of anchor:
- Adequate fall distance between operator and lower-level obstructions (machinery, open windows/doors and panels, tree limbs etc.)
- Position of workers
- Correct position to avoid pendulum effect etc.
- Lanyards / lines can be attached from safe position (before entering fall risk area)
- Exposure to environmental factors
- Type of likely fall and angle of incidence.
- Fastening devices (ensure all bolts, nuts, washers meet required maximum breaking strength for shear (lateral) and axial (tension) directions. Welds must be subject to non-destructive inspection and testing
- Structure for attachment
- Exact location for attachment to structure
- Method of application/fastening.
Note: Anchor points cannot be fastened to the following:
- Conduit/ cable trays
- Piping / support racks / Vent stacks
- Guards rails/ hand rails
- Wood trusses (unless specifically designed), gable ends, fascia, overhangs,