The Window Cleaning - BMU Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensvice document that outlines the job steps, hazards, risks and control measures for Window Cleaning works for a permanent building maintenance unit.
This SWMS does not cover temporary / portable BMU operation. Dedicated SWMS should be developed for any risks not covered in this SWMS.
The SWMS includes:
All operators, involved with the use of the BMU must be trained and competent and hold a current High Risk Work Licence as required by State Regulators.
Ensure detailed installation specifications are developed (by competent persons) for the type of anchorage and location.
- Type of anchor required
- Purpose of anchor (free fall, limited free fall, horizontal life-lines, restraint techniques etc.)
- Type of work being undertaken
- Safety factors
- Ultimate strength factors (= when the anchor/structure may yield but not fail).
Placement of anchor:
- Adequate fall distance between operator and lower-level obstructions (machinery, open windows/doors and panels, tree limbs etc.)
- Position of workers
- Correct position to avoid pendulum effect etc.
- Lanyards / lines can be attached from safe position (before entering fall risk area)
- Exposure to environmental factors
- Type of likely fall and angle of incidence.
- Fastening devices (ensure all bolts, nuts, washers meet required maximum breaking strength for shear (lateral) and axial (tension) directions. Welds must be subject to non-destructive inspection and testing
- Structure for attachment
- Exact location for attachment to structure
- Method of application/fastening.
Note: Anchor points cannot be fastened to the following:
- Conduit/ cable trays
- Piping / support racks / Vent stacks
- Guards rails/ hand rails
Wood trusses (unless specifically designed), gable ends, fascia, overhangs,