The Guidelines for Establishing a Safe Work Zone on a Roadside is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps for the management of traffic around a roadside work area.
The purpose of this guideline is to provide the PCBU (person conducting business or undertaking) with information to assist in the identification of effective Traffic Management Risk Controls with the view of ensuring that all reasonably practicable steps have been taken to prevent the likelihood of any traffic related incidents.
Reference must be made to relevant State Legislation – OH&S / Road Traffic Authority and Council. Further, this guideline will assist PCBUs in establishing the content of the Traffic Management Plan (TMP) for the roadside activity.
Work on or near a road is defined as “High Risk Construction Work" by Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011.
Remember: The content of the SWMS should be refined over time and include consultation with workers and other persons conducting a business or undertaking. Prior to each new activity, the SWMS must be reviewed and revised to ensure it applies to the high risk construction work and the actual site you are working at.
This Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is provided in the following document formats
These guidelines include:
These are guidelines and not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, follow the guidelines and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
Particular attention must be given to ensuring that:
- All signs are easy to read and road users can easily navigate their way through the work zone
- Adequate buffer zones between road users and the worksite have been created
- Suitable speed restrictions are in place relevant to the road type / work type and proximity to work zone
Ensure speed limit of
Ensure, where barriers are present:
- No workers go beyond barriers
- Adequate clearance between barrier and work area
- Water barriers are compatible, appropriately secured / filled
Monitor work position at all times throughout operation. Ensure:
- No standing behind reversing vehicles
- Alertness at all times. Listen for:
- Alert for breaches of exclusion zones
- Maintain awareness of traffic movement if near road
- Ensure all debris is removed from work site
- Ensure all traffic control devices are removed when no longer required
Ensure traffic control devices are collected in a safe manner
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST