The Waterproofing Wet Areas Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps for waterproofing of wet areas.
The main hazards include:
- Electric shock
- Musculoskeletal Disorder (MSD) from hazardous manual tasks
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals and/or atmosphere
Waterproofing chemicals can have a variety of health effects. Always refer to their safety data sheets (SDS) for precautions for use and for first aid requirements. For example, in particular, if workers come in direct contact with hazardous chemicals or there is potential to inhale hazardous chemicals.
BSA research suggests that poor installation practices are a significant cause of waterproofing failure. It follows therefore that waterproofing is frequently the subject of short-cuts and bad workmanship.
Effective treatment of shower compartments and baths with showers over is critical to ensure that free water is prevented from penetrating the structure of the building.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
- Remove all non-essential persons from area
- Barricade area and place caution signs as needed
- Adequate breaks to reduce manual handling injuries
- Access to drinking water
- Clean up spills and water from work areas during the shift to reduce risk of slips and falls
- Ensure PPE is being used appropriately
- Keep ignition sources away from the waterproofing area as there could be a danger of fire or explosion from ignited fumes
- The work is continually supervised to ensure quality control and SWMS being followed.
On completion check:
- All reusable materials are to be stacked and stored safely
- Waste materials and chemicals are disposed of in a safe and environmentally sound manner.
- Tools and equipment are cleaned, maintained and stored correctly.
Can't find what you're looking for?
Call our customer service team1300 306 604
Customer Service Availability
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST