The Heavy Vehicles – Tyres, Wheels and Rims Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outlining the safety steps for replacing heavy vehicles’ (including mobile plant) wheels, tyres and rims.
This SWMS does not cover replacing or repairing wheels, tyres or rims on specialised mining or agricultural plant. Dedicated SWMS should be developed for these tasks, and for any risks not covered in this SWMS.
Note: Split rim wheels are often used on heavy vehicles, light trucks, tractors, forklifts and earthmoving machinery. Changing tyres with split rim wheel assemblies can be very dangerous. A number of workers have been killed or seriously injured in Australia during the assembly / fitting of pneumatic tyres. Most often, the incidents have occurred when the locking rings or bead wires have blown off the rims of the tyre during inflation. The force of escaping air is enough to hurl the tyre and rim with great force into the air.
This SWMS includes:
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
Replacing inner wheel:
- Ensure all surfaces on hub wheel spacers are clean and no damage
- Clean and prepare hub or spider for remounting of tyre wheel rim assembly
- Place rim in position lined up with spider, hub or retaining studs
- Ensure the valve faces outwards
- Mount wheel rim assembly making sure not to damage stud threads
- Ensure valve stem is correctly positioned and accessible
- Use wheel brace handle to lift tyre
- Push wheel into position
- Ensure valve is positioned between the two studs
- Inspect and refit spacer if applicable
Take $150 OFF Quality Management System Sale.
Add coupon code QUALITY at checkout.